Monday, March 1, 2010

Dutchmen, soured milk and smoked almonds

We gained Internet access earlier today, that's why I am writing so late. I think I will begin to write about the trip to Ningbo. Even though I landed less than 3 days ago I have experienced enough to write a book. Things as shopping, food, culture etc will come in other posts soon enough.

My start in Gothenburg almost ended up as a disaster. I have done some really stupid things in my life, but this really takes the biscuit. Before the departure I had tons of stuff to deal with, that stressed me up to the limit. I have been on the edge of being burnt out before and I could feel some of the symptoms. I am sorry for all the things I did not manage to do before the trip. I will deal with them later this week.
The day of the departure I woke up early, quite alert, but my body refused due to stress. I really had to kick my self started to arrange everything in less than 3 hours. Somehow I got the time of departure wrong. In the car on my way to the airport I checked the new printed tickets, and they said 12:25 and not 12:55! After a bunch of calls and 140km/h ride to the airport I managed to check in with 1min marginal....phew!

The flight to Shanghai via Amsterdam was quite nice. First time in a jumbo jet. I tried 2 new things that I very much enjoyed. The first thing was smoked almonds. Wow, fantastic! I had them along with a nice bottle of wine on the plane. Smoked almonds are new on my list but pushes popcorn down to number 2. The other one was soured milk with cherries that we had for breakfast. I tasted soured milk as a kid but did not like it. Now 25 years later I must admit it is quite good, but it does not beat the almonds. The food in general was superb and the staff were wonderful. Although the stewardess on the flight to Amsterdam was understandable. We did not understand a single word she said about the safety instructions. She sounded Jiminy Cricket on crack.

I have so much to write about but I must start somewhere. Since I promised pictures I must provide some. The picture here is from the bus to Shanghai City. More to come, although I forgot the camera in the car at Landvetter, Gothenburg due to panic and lack of time.
.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you live in the future now! =)
    Thank god that you made it on the plane in time!
    Me and GF eagerly awaits the follow up!

    GL HF
    -Selago

    ReplyDelete