Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Teacher Kerry

Today I am feeling the result of yesterday's activities. The tennis session was a bit too intensive. We played between 13:00 to 17:30 in 30°C and compensated with many bottles of water. The tennis courts were all available for a reason and the activity must have looked stupid to others. It was fun though, and I really enjoyed playing double with a Chinese student called Mosquito against Armin and a girl called Maggie. We were leading in the beginning but somehow we ended up losing. Probably because of my mistakes. I was expecting pain all over today but I am just a bit stiff in my back and ankles and my suntan is slightly improved, as well as my back hand. I must admit I took a break from writing this post to play tennis for another 2.5h today before going to cooking class. This weeks dish was fried pumpkin with egg and salt, my favorite! I know I should take it easy due to my lung problem, but I cant. For me it is worse watching the other kids play basketball, tennis or practice Kung fu from the bench than worrying about surgery. I need to move! And I really enjoy these sports. If I feel bad I will just take it easy.

Céline is back in town after some travelling and that is good news! We decided to study together at the library more frequently and I really need it. She is an excellent study-partner. Somehow I learn a lot studying with her and it seems that she thinks the same about me. I know that the French girl also improves her English with me so it is "win win". The past weeks have been really "easy living" so not it is time to get a grip of the Chines language again. My score in Chinese writing and reading exam went down from 81% to 70%. Not so bad, especially considering that the last exam was totally in Chinese characters, but I can do better.

Teacher Kerry, that is me. As I wrote in the last post I took a part time job as English teacher, offered by James. Every Thursday I meet my class of Chinese businessmen to teach them the English language and also exchange some cultural knowledge. The job is very satisfying in many ways. I found out I really enjoy teaching and think that I am pretty good at it. Of course, I am a rookie and there is much to improve but I have a solid base in my opinion and my students seems to be pleased. Another positive side about this new friends and connections. Already the first session I got a few hints from one of my students who owns a shipping company and a trading company. If I will leave China she talked about an agency in Sweden and that might be interesting. Almost everyone is involved with trading or shipping here so there are many opportunities if your'e just a bit curious, social and open minded. Not sure yet, I might have other plans, but maybe trading as a side business isn't a bad idea.

Teaching my class i relatively easy. All of my students are somewhat advanced with Chinese measurement, and they are very curious about western culture so we never run out of topics. My job is mainly to make them speak and use the English language. The first lesson I got instructions from my employers how to run the class and I followed the orders. The next lesson after that I totally ignored it and ran my own race. A session often starts with small chat about work or activities that took place the recent week.  When I think we had enough of it I read an article to them and they follow and they are trying to learn how the words are to be pronounced. Then we have a discussion about the article and I can hear if they understood the text or not, and what to improve. The last hour we play a game and they really enjoy it. I prepare words for them and one by one they will explain the word to the others without revealing it. If they succeed they receive points. This forces them to speak up and practice. I am there to correct and encourage. I see huge improvement compare to the first session. Mainly that is because they are more comfortable about speaking up now I think. They told me that they feel relaxed with me as their teacher, and I hope it is true.

Last week James asked me if I could do a private English session with a 19 year old man to prepare him for a test that would take place 3 days later in Shanghai. He applied to an English university and needed to take test in writing, reading and attend an oral interview. As normal, James asked me 2 hours before the session would start and it was 2 days before my exam. I accepted though, thinking it could be an experience and some extra money could not hurt. The kid was son of a successful businessman who owns a large factory in Ningbo.
When I entered the classroom the kid instantly stood up and greeted me in the most polite way. I could tell that his kid have been drilled in behaving properly. Probably through his fathers business events. It was very clear when I gave him my business card later that evening. He made all the correct steps by the book in how to receive a card properly.

It took almost 5 minutes before he could say one word correctly, except his name. I was thinking that it would be a long lesson and he cannot speak English at all. It turned out he was extremely nervous and I could see him shaking. This was his first meeting with a foreigner and to many people here that is a big thing. The day at the opera a girl approached me and said "Hi, this is a big honor for you. This is the first time I speak to a foreigner and it has been one of my greatest wishes for years". I was not really surprised but it felt a bit weird. I greeted her and I could hear her heart beat like a drum-set. "Wow, you are so handsome! Now I need to go because I have something to do. Bye!", she said and disappeared quickly. I wonder how much courage it took before she decided to talk to me.

It took a few minutes before I found out what kind of interest the kid has, and I tried to make him talk about them and be curious. His nervousness suddenly took a change. He traded his seat for another one next to mine and explained about Taekwondo with glowing eyes. Until he started to study English for real he used to practice Taekwondo 6 days a week and he has a black belt. The Chinese humor is not like mine, but after I tried some jokes with him he was much calmer. After the first hour his English was not so poor after all.
I did a fake interview to prepare him for the real one. I have received questions from James earlier, but it was obvious that the kid had practiced the questions over and over again. If I asked something else he was totally lost. Even if I did ask the right questions but in the wrong order he was confused. So, I threw the paper and started to perform a quite hard interview with him with my own questions. He gave me some real good answers after some guidance, and they sounded much better than the standard replies he was provided with.
I met his parents after the lesson and he seemed quite happy with the past 2 hours. His mother thanked me I don't know how many times. They asked me if I could teach him for another 2 hours on the day before the interview and I accepted. It was the same day as my ordinary class but a few hours earlier. I spent the gap shopping so it was perfect. Our office is located in the center on Ningbo.
His parents drove me home in their brand new Audi S8 after both sessions, which is much better than the taxis' here, and fortunately not faster.

He called me last Saturday just after the test and interview to tell me how it went. He said that the writing was very easy but the interview was a bit tricky. All in all he was happy with his performance. I was very pleased to hear it. I was also very happy that he called to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment