Friday, April 9, 2010

Guests of honor

There is one thing in this country I can not get used to, and that is all the attention we foreigners receive. I will write a special post just about that subject so  I will not go any further into it at the moment, but here is an example.


Today Armin told me about a photo-competition that was taking place in our campus. Since I am also interested in photographic I decided to join. A Chinese man named Kevin met us up and escorted us to the assembly room that facilitated the event. We were a bit late and the room was crowded. We could immediately feel that all eyes went from the present participant to us, even if we kept a low profile while entering the room. Kevin did not know that I was coming so he only reserved a chair for Armin, so I settled with a spot in a stair. Within a few seconds I was offered chairs from the other observers and I knew that I could not turn it down. That would be rude and would make them feel awkward. Chinese people, at least in Ningbo, values hospitality high and are extremely helpful, especially when it comes to foreigners. I took a seat between Armin and Kevin. 

The event was fully in spoken Chinese and it was difficult for us to understand, but the pictures were lovely. The photographers were very skilled, even if most of them were normal students and amateurs in the subject. We enjoyed the event and after an hour one of the arrangers approached us. He told Kevin that he is glad that we were there. They were honored and our presence was a highlight of the evening. Kevin told us that we were asked to say a few words to the audience. This gesture would complete the event, they have said. Of course, we could not deny this request, even if I felt the adrenaline flowing. I was nervous. 
In the end of the competition the hostess said something and looked in our direction. I only understand a few words, "...our friends...", and the audience suddenly bursts out in massive applauds. It was a bit embarrassing because we got more applauds than any of the competitors. Armin stood up and told them that we are honored to be there and gave his thanks to the people in the room, followed by a new wave of applauds. Now the microphone was passed over to me. I prepared a few words a earlier before and I think it sounded something like this:

"My Chinese is poor so I will take this in English. I have not understood many words that were said here tonight, but I did understand the photographs. I want to thank the photographers for the lovely art. You are an inspiration to us. Thank you!"

I do not remember if I received any applauds due to nervousness, but I was kind of satisfied with the words. I do not think many persons in the hall understood what we said. It does not matter, they were happy any way. Afterwards we could feel many people seeking eye-contact with us to show a gesture of appreciativeness.

Even though we showed up unexpectedly, we understand that we were the evenings special guests of honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment