Sunday, April 25, 2010

Cloud connected

Yesterday started much better than it ended. We celebrated Viyaleta's birthday at a nightclub located in Lao wai tan. The party was great, but I had way to much to drink, way over my limit. Armin and I drank a few beers at my place before we hit Bass clef for more drinking. We were in a hurry because of the party but managed to sink 3 beers in less than 30 minutes. Was only going to have one beer but the manager insisted and treated me more. Not a very good start, especially since I have not eaten anything since lunch. The evening was fun, but somehow I ended up having a discussion with a dear friend that did not end so well. I did not want to have this discussion but I think I was the one who started it. Mixing alcohol and emotions can be a dangerous combination. The worst thing is I have no memory of what was said during the evening because I was to drunk, but I remember feeling shocked afterwards. Therefore the day today was filled with agony and feeling very bad physically and emotionally. So now I am writing it off me. For some reason I seem to express myself better in written words than spoken ones. I don't know what happened to me yesterday, but I have been storing lots of stress and emotions inside me for the past time and I think the bauble burst. Can't say that I feel better today though. I hope it has not affected my friendship with her. First think, then drink.

As I wrote, the day yesterday started good and the whole afternoon was filled with laughter. Armin and I took a walk towards Wanda Plaza with the cameras, mostly just to have a walk. On the way there we passed a huge hotel building which we photographed like many times before. Armin had the idea that we could enter the building and take some pictures from the top floor, if we could get the permission. We decided to give it a try so we entered the hotel and walk up to the reception after passing an uniformed man who welcomed us. The woman in the reception did not seem to understand our business so she called the hotel manager. The manager arrived within one minute. He was a bit taller than an average Chinese and his appearance was irreproachable with a perfect shave and a dark suite. He introduced himself and he offered escort to the sky restaurant located in the 52:th floor of the building. We could really feel the pressure-difference while we ascended 52 floors in 34 seconds and I was a bit worried about my aching lung. The restaurant wasn't what we expected. It contained several dining rooms for private dining, and not a larger hall. We entered one of the rooms and were first impressed by the decor and then stunned by the amazing view. The sight was very good this day and watching Ningbo from the blue sky was a mighty experience. We felt cloud connected.


A quite tall woman in a traditional red Chinese dress with a slits that reached all the way to her waist entered the room. With a face like a goddess and a body from hell she managed to diverse our attention from the view to what might be the most beautiful Chinese woman I have met so far. She introduced herself as Sabrina and I think she was some kind of boss for the hosting service. The question about our business in the hotel came up, and I felt really silly about the photographing now when more people were involved, so I told her that we are hosting a dinner party and were looking for a suitable facility. She guided us around the floor and we followed with the cameras like Japanese tourists visiting Disneyland. Each room were more beautiful than the other with the crystal chandeliers 7m up in the air. It was interesting to see the table setup with exclusive chopsticks instead of knives and forks.

The tour continued to a function hall. We were escorted by both Sabrina and the manager during the whole tour and we kept the conversation going about the "dinner party". We had to wait for about 5 minutes in the hall until a woman from the staff turned on the lightning for us. The beautiful lights were made of seashells. I can not even guess how much  they cost to be manufactured. Sabrina told us that the hotel is not a 5 star hotel. It is a 5 star deluxe hotel. I believe her. The building was finished 6 years ago but the hotel opened 24 days ago. I am guessing that is a long time for preparing a hotel.
We took a glass elevator down to the lobby. I always wanted to take a ride in a glass elevator in a 5 star 'deluxe' hotel. Down in the lobby they followed us to the entrance where we said good bye, after receiving Sabrinas business card. I accepted the card in the correct Chinese way by the book, just as we have been taught. With both hands, look at the card, memorize the name and repeat it loud to show that you know it. Out in the street we were giggling like schoolgirls, still a bit amazed by what we have just experienced.
Armin with the manager

Sabrina in the function hall

Lighting made of seashells

Glass elevator

1 comment:

  1. Aj, att man aldrig lär sig. Att diskutera under alkoholens påverkan är aldrig speciellt bra.
    Häftigt att ni fick komma in på hotellet! Tror nog det var för att det var färdigbyggt. Har hört att det annars ska vara väldigt svårt att komma in på Kinesiska byggnadsplatser annars.
    Hur mår lungan nu då?

    ReplyDelete