Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The successful Swede

I downloaded the Chinese chat program QQ a few weeks ago, in case I will need it if MSN wont work in China. A Chinese girl, Lillian (Yi Lan), contacted me and we started talking. She runs a company at a university in Xiamen where she educates students in English and career coaching. Somehow we kept contact and have been chatting every day since, often with webcam and microphone. She teaches me Mandarin and I am helping her to improve her English. She thinks that it doesn't need any improvement, but I can assure you that is not the case. When she tells me or writes anything to me she uses Chinese and It is my job to understand. Of course she helps me when I get stuck. This funny girl has decided to not meet a boy until she is 28, 4 years from now. You cannot combine a boy and career, she says.

To the subject. Lillian and her friends are having a hard time when pronouncing my name. It is very common that westerners chooses a Chinese name as courtesy towards the inhabitants, as they do for us. Lillian's real name is Yi Lan, for example. So I decided to use another name during my stay in the Middle Kingdom. I asked Yi Lan and her friends for assistance which they gladly approved. After 15min of discussion, which I did not understand, they came to a conclusion. Their suggestion was "Kai Rui Lee". Lee is suitable because the name is very common and lots of foreigners likes Kung fu, they told me. So my surname is taken from the star Bruce Lee. Rui indicates that I am a Swede. Rui dian means Sweden in Mandarin, and Kai means successful. So I adopted my new Chinese name Kai Rui Lee which should mean Successful Swede Lee, and it made the girls very pleased.
I filled in Kai Rui Lee in my visa application, and when I showed it to Lillian she almost cried of pride and happiness.

They say that the name should reflect your personality, and I hope that they are right in this case.

1 comment:

  1. That's just an awesome name, although all I could think of was "Kangaroo" =)

    ReplyDelete